Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Fun, Funny and Wonderful Father


I thought on this Fathers Day I'd blog about some of the fun, funny and wonderful things that my dad and I have done. These stories show what a great job he did as a father and how he gave me a good life that turned me into the person I am today.
I'll start by saying that I love my father dearly! He did the best he could as a single father but the man couldn't do hair! I remember every morning before school-before I learned to do my own hair-I'd go downstairs, he'd have the brush in hand and have me flip my head all the way upside down and he'd brush my hair into a pony tail. Not just any pony tail, it would be a pony tail at the absolute top of my head that would be so tight that my little Asian eyes would look even more Asian!
My dad is a computer programmer so he's always been electronically and technologically inclined. He set up a set of closed circuit phones in the house, one in my room and one in his. I remember the huge sense of security this gave me knowing that my dad was just there on the other end of that phone downstairs if I should ever need him.
In the home I grew up in, my bedroom was directly over the garage. I remember sitting in my bedroom waiting to hear the noisy garage door open. That wonderful sound meant my dad was home and there never was such a happy noise!
It takes a lot to get my dad's feathers ruffled. When I was 18, I'd been living in an apartment for a while and had moved out. I was having a really difficult time getting the apartment complex to give me my security deposit back and they'd been giving me the run around for some time. My dad went with me to the office and it was like he'd turned into the Terminator! He marched in there shoulders back, sunglasses still on and mad as can be! Not only did I get my security deposit back after all was said and done, but I got an apology letter too! He was my hero that day!
Once, for my birthday-I must have been 8 or 9-my dad insisted I start the day with a big old piece of chocolate birthday cake for breakfast! I remember being so shocked and amazed and absolutely delighted!
My dad is always looking out for what would be best for me but he definitely marches to the beat of his own drum. For mine and Matt's first wedding anniversary, my dad gave Matt a book called "She Comes First, The Thinking Man's Guide to Pleasuring a Woman". Yeah I love my dad but wow!
One time we went on a road trip to go see family in Wisconsin. We took a detour and went to see Niagra Falls. He wanted to see the falls from the Canadian side so off we went. On our way back in to the country, we got stopped at the boarder. Something never occurred to us-here's a white guy driving a big van with a small Asian child in the back seat! Yeah, that was an interesting conversation with the boarder people and I was just positive that I'd be stuck in Canada for the rest of my life!
When people find out that I was raised by a single(for the most part) father, they always ask me if I missed having a mother. Honestly, I don't know any different and I wouldn't have it any other way! My dad did a wonderful job of providing the support that both Mother and Father normally have to provide. Through all our good and bad times, he molded a head strong, self assured, woman who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to chase after her dreams! Thank you dad I love you!

No comments: